Yesterday was a sad day for our shelter. For the first time in our 10-year history at Hurst Way, we started housing cats in Vari Kennels – a carrier that’s used when transporting your pet. Simply said: We’ve run out of space for cats.
We’ve reached this point for a variety of reasons:
1. In the past, we used to euthanize cats that had URI (a cat cold) or FIV. We no longer euthanize these cats and do everything we can do find them homes.
2. Over the last couple of weeks, we’ve dealt with multiple hoarding situations. These are people who became inundated with cats and approached us because they needed our help. We must find spaces for these cats.
3. We continue to accept and care for stray cats across Winnipeg and pledge to provide them with the care they need.
But our success comes at a cost and we need your help. Here’s what you can do:
1. If you’re planning to adopt, now is the time. Cats that previously had a cat cold are free to adopt until August 18.
2. If you can’t adopt, please become a WHS foster by clicking here: http://bit.ly/2pmquy0.
3. Please have your cat spayed or neutered. If you cannot afford this surgery, we have subsidized rates that you might apply for.
4. Share this post with your friends and help spread this message.
We appreciate anything you can do for the cats in our community!
To donate and help cats during this time, please visit: http://bit.ly/2vqcub4